- Label everything! Place multiple labels on every box with its contents and which room they should be in.
- Having labels on top and sides is best.
- Color code your labels to make it easier to spot which box belongs in which room.
- Pack one room at a time.
- Do not place items that belong in different rooms in the same box.
- Pack the items you will need first in a clear plastic bin to make them easiest to find.
- Pack a small overnight bad with your absolute essentials so you have them at your fingertip.
- Finish packing any non-essentials at least a week before the move.
- Pack plates vertically after wrapping to keep them safer.
- Do not use newspaper for fine china.
- Carefully wrap all glass, china and other delicate kitchen items with packing paper and other cushioning.
- Vaccume seal your clothing to create more space.
- Pack heavier items such as books in smaller boxes.
- Pack lighter items in larger boxes.
- Use packing tape – NOT duct tape.
- Schedule to disconnect your cable and electricity a week ahead of your move so you are not charged for any extra days.
- Remember to change your address and forward your mail.
- Cancel newspaper and magazine subscriptions.
- Defrost your freezer and refrigerators at least a day in advance if they are coming with you.
- Clean your rugs and have them packed properly for moving.
- Notify your children’s school ahead of time.
- Ask your Doctor and Dentist to recommend health care specialists in your new area.
- Never pack anything that is flammable.
- Check owners manual of any expensive electronic items for the manufacturer’s moving tips.
- When disassembling electronics with numerous cords, place small colored stickers on each cord and the same colored sticker where the cord connects to the device for easy reference.
- Remove all light bulbs in lamps.
- Have tools ready to assemble furniture in your new Home.
- Call Captain Movers at least 3 weeks before the moving date to reserve a truck!
Free Moving Quote & Storage!
Call us with questions about quotes or storage options at 844-208-1233 or by filling out the form. Also inquire about how you can receive a month of free storage!